correction! Re: [pmwiki-users] Make URLs not case sensitive?

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Fri Jan 28 15:54:32 CST 2005

At 2005-01-28  03:35 PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> > >        my Photoshop Page
> >
> > I mistyped.
> >         my Photoshop page
> >
> > Mind you, in a case-insensitive system, that wouldn't matter!
>
>Okay, I answered to quickly in my previous message; so you can ignore
>that answer and replace it with this one ... :-P
>
>It does matter, even in a case-insensitive system.  It may not be
>important for purposes of locating the correct page, but it's very
>important in terms of getting the title at the top of the page
>to display as a *title* (which is what my question was asking about).
>I'm pretty sure that the first word of a page title should be
>display with an uppercase letter, not a lowercase one.
>
>And saying that if I wanted the first word to be capitalized that
>I should've written the original link as [[My Photoshop page]] is
>wrong too, since I'm pretty sure that "my" should not be capitalized
>in the middle of a sentence unless it's being used in an honorific sense.

At the risk of wandering well outside the boundaries of PmWiki conventions,
I try to use newspaper-style headlines wherever possible because I find
them more readable and just plain nicer looking than so-called "title-case".

So by that rule the page title should be:

         My Photoshop page

rather than the title-case version:

         My Photoshop Page

But the problem for a page title really seems to be coming down to "What
did the author intend?"  As long as PmWiki can honor the author's intent,
this should have no bearing on the OS-viewed filenames. I cannot imagine an
author (who was not also a Pascal programmer) who would expect the two
variations above to take them to different pages.

I certainly intended to type a lower case "p" and I got an upper case one
on my first email.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/