[pmwiki-users] is Sherman in the Wayback machine?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jan 28 08:45:15 CST 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 06:56:07AM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> Is it just me? Or is everyone getting mail from the list that was sent
> weeks ago?
> This morning (Jan 28, 2005) I received mail that I sent to the list on Jan
> 18, 2005. The headers show that the Exim mail server at contra.vosn.net
> held on to it (or decided to retransmit it).

It's not just you -- this was one of the (ongoing) problems that caused
me to leave Data393 (my previous hosting provider).  Something about
the mail or mailing list configuration on contra.vosn.net would cause our list
messages to be held in an outgoing mail queue for several days before
actually being sent to the destination MTAs.  This particular problem
has been occuring since at least October, and Data393's tech support
never could resolve or fix the issue.

Although I've completely removed the mailing lists from the Data393 servers,
some of the messages from prior to the switch are still in Data393's outgoing
mail queues, waiting for whatever quantum particle event that causes the
server to go ahead and deliver them.

The new mailing list server seems to be much more stable and reliable.
And, of course, I have root access so I can now fix it directly when
things go wrong, instead of waiting for the trouble ticket to finally
make it to the correct person.