[pmwiki-users] 500 Error when saving large wiki pages

Hochstrasser Benedikt bhoc at pentagroup.ch
Wed Jan 26 12:58:34 CST 2005

Sebastian Flothow wrote:

> If, however, the error response is returned immediately,
> or after some other non-30secondish delay, then there must
> be some other reason for the script failing. Exceeding the
> memory limit set in the PHP config is a possible cause for this.

Side note: 3500 lines is not only is very big for one page to save,
I find it huge for one single page to load and to read.
Bear in mind that PHP has to parse the entire page each time it
is served. This will put a considerable load onto the server at
Runtime, and I suspect a remote (modem?) user will be less than
thrilled with the time it takes to display the page.

If I were you I'd split the page into several chapters; it's easier
to edit, it's faster to load and to save, and it's better to bookmark.
And it limits the bandwith used to display the contents.

My two cents...

--
Ben