[pmwiki-users] Limit Google Duplicates of PMWiki Documentation Results?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jan 25 18:42:43 CST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 07:42:14PM +1300, Robin wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 06:53, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > Were any of the DocumentationIndex pages in the Google search
> > coming from versions of PmWiki after 0.6.0?
> Ooh ooh! I just read your email talking about additional uses for the
> action=attr page that never seem to happen. I have a thought for one that
> could be handy. Have a toggle specifying whether the page/group is indexed by
> search engines. So if you have a personal section of pages that you don't
> think need to be seen by Google (or others that support it), you can just set
> the option and it adds the relevant meta header.

Well, as with many things that are "toggles" or attributes, I often
think it's better if this particular feature is done using markup--
something like (:norobots:)--rather than a toggled attribute.

  Markup('robots', 'directives',
    '/\\(:(no)?robots:\\)/e',
    "PZZ(\$GLOBALS['HTMLHeaderFmt']['robots'] =
      \"  <meta name='robots' content='$1index,$1follow' />\n\")");

allows (:robots:) to turn on robot indexing, and (:norobots:) turns
it off.

Yes, I realize the apparent contradiction between providing a generic
attributes section and then saying that we can use markup for attributes. :-)
However, I like using markup for anything that may need to be version
controlled (via page history) or where we might want to use (:include:)
to grab them from another page; and save the page attributes feature for
things that probably shouldn't be version controlled or that don't work
well in markup.  Yes, it's a fuzzy area -- sorry about that.