[pmwiki-users] include...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jan 24 16:09:06 CST 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 04:27:54PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:

> The web server can only use one handler to process and serve the page - so
> if the page is already handled by PHP, then SSI directives will be ignored.
> The converse also applies.
>
> Or do I completely misunderstand Apache? Can it "resubmit" a processed page
> to a second handler? How do I do that?

Apache 2.0 includes the concept of "filters", and multiple filters
can be combined to process elements on a page.  Thus, if someone
wanted to generate something in PHP, then process that output for
SSI, it can be done with the following Apache configuration directive:

   SetOutputFilter PHP, INCLUDES

However, few sites will do this as the default, as it increases server
processing overhead by a fair amount, and PHP can do just about anything
that one could do in SSI anyway.