[Pmwiki-users] Preformatted markup (was: Idea for extension of special list syntax)

chr@home.se chr
Sat Jan 22 09:11:08 CST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Neil Herber wrote:

> At 2005-01-21  07:38 AM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> >The "space and [= at beginning
> >of a line" solution is elegant and consistent, but too many authors
> >seem to miss it entirely.
>
> I found this entirely by accident and I thought it required a space in
> front of every line.
>
> Once again, I think a visible marker would help, so maybe:
>
>  >[= ....
>
> instead of:
>
>   [=...

See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/MarkupForPreformattedText for examples
etc. The text below is basically put on that page (but perhaps slightly
more readable?).

I'd suggest allowing something more verbose such as

	(:pre:) [= ...

	=]

However, there's also a cake I'd like to eat and still have... what I
mean is that I'd like to be able to write something like this:

	(:pre-with-stripped-vertical-space:) [=
	#!/bin/sh
	=]

and *not* get empty lines at the beginning/end of the preformatted text. I
know this is actually against what the markup actually says since we quote
using [=...=], but *very* often find the extra vertical space annoying.

I know the solution is to write:

	(:pre:) [=#!/bin/sh
	... =]

but this makes it much more difficult to maintain the text on the wiki
page. For instance, you can no longer simply select some lines to replace
the preformatted text. Instead you have to carefully start the selection
just after '[='.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr