[Pmwiki-users] Problem with code markup

chr@home.se chr
Thu Jan 20 09:23:39 CST 2005

Hi

Sometimes I've noted a nuisance with the code markup. I often (by mistake)
end up with something like this:

	Bla bla bla bla blabla bla bla bla bla
	 bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
	Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

where you should note the extra ' ' at the beginning of the second line.
The result is that this line is rendered as code markup. This in itself
may not affect the result that much, it depends on the situation and where
the paragraphf would have been broken otherwise.

Usually I'm not really bothered by a single line that's rendered as code,
it's just a local problem and when you see the offending paragraph you
immediately know where to fix it.

However, if the line with the code markup is *long*, I end up with a very
wide page (much wider than normal). The result is that a forgotten space
can sometimes screw up an entire page... here is an example of this (which
looks bad on my browser, Opera).

Since the pmwiki site seems to be inoperable right now I couldn't test it
there, but placed an example here instead:

	http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/SiteTest/LongCodeLine

On that site it's very easy to spot the code markup since it is boxed by a
dotted line. However, note that the page is now much wider than intendend
and you have to scroll it horizontally to see all of the text.

I am not sure what the solution is... on one hand I like the ease of the
code markup, but on the other hand it is very annoying that such a minor
error spoils the whole page. For that reason I might prefer to use
something else to indicate 'code'.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr