[Pmwiki-users] Headings and Graphical Button on Heading . . .

Ben Wilson ameen
Tue Jan 11 13:44:49 CST 2005

First, it would appear that <h3> is not the ideal starting heading, nor <h1>. A
simple compromise would be <h2>, for a couple of good reasons. First, if you
want <h1>, then why use a graphic, or why not just remove one <h2>? You could
add one ! to make an <h3>. So, in tactical use, it's a good middle of the road
option.

Also, if W3C uses <h1> for title headings then <h2> throughout, then perhaps
that supports the default heading button function spitting out an <h2> markup.
Not that I am citing them as the _de facto_ standard. Coincidentally, I use
<h1> for page titles, then <h2> as the major heading throughout--although it
was not until I read the digest that I knew they did it, too. I also never go
below <h3>. So, <h2> for the default output fits my needs well. So, perhaps I'm
being biased?

As for the graphic to represent the heading buttion: How about "<H#>" or "<H2>"?
While it may be difficult to represent in all languages any other approach, I
would opine that in most languages the HTML markup is the same. Combine this
with a language-specific hover note, you should be able to well inform users
what the button means. Besides, they will experiment a few times and discover
what the thing means. I think using the symbols I mention above, you'll be able
to differentiate between the bold and heading.

--
Regards,
Ben Wilson

"Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur"