[Pmwiki-users] Wiki-Spammers 2 - motives

Neil Herber nospam
Mon Jan 10 18:56:14 CST 2005

At 2005-01-10  03:19 PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>  If it's a bot,
>why is the bot so ... "restrained"?  Is it that the bot is programmed
>to avoid various actions that would indicate it's a bot, such as
>making too many postings in a short period of time, or posting to
>large numbers of pages in a single session?

If these bots are anything like the spambots that regularly attack my mail
server, they attack many sites at once in a round-robin fashion. This makes
the apparent load at any one site look low, even though the bot is running
flat out.

In the case of the spambots, they are using zombies or open proxies for the
attacks and I can see the same handshake being tried from several different
IPs, all within seconds of each other.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/