[Pmwiki-users] $Name versus $Title

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Jan 5 11:10:00 CST 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 12:19:32PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> Confused as ever ...
>
> What is the difference between $Name and $Title???

$Name is the identifier used to refer to a page in urls and in
[[page links]].  $Title is the page's title, which defaults to a
page's name but can be set to a different value via the (:title:)
directive.  It's generally used at the top of a page and in the
browser's titlebar.

> The MarkupMasterIndex is great, but a few words to the right of each
> "Value" entry would help a lot.
> For example:
> {$Group}        --- displays name of group as in "Main"
> {$DefaultGroup}         --- displays name of the default group as in
> "MyDefaultGroup" (usually "Main")

MarkupMasterIndex was just a page I threw together during the development
of 2.0 to help people keep track of all of the available (and new)
markup syntax.  It really was intended to be just a brief list during
development.  That said, I don't have a problem with adding *brief*
descriptions besides each as long as they don't overwhelm the rest of
the page.  It would also be nice to provide links to the page(s) that
document each markup more fully.

Also, note that PmWiki.SpecialMarkups also provides examples of each
of these markups.

> Note that all of these work in the body of a page **except** for $Title.
> It should either work in the body, or be classed as something other than a
> Markup "value". I have posted a comment like this twice to PITS, but it
> seems to get lost in the shuffle. ;->

Hmmm, I found PITS.00177 -- and you're correct, it was closed but
is still a bug (I incorrectly assumed that {$Title} was working).

> Yet another question: is a "value" just a "variable"?  Why have two names?
> (Oops, that's 2 questions!)

I'm not sure where the "Value" heading came from in the MarkupMasterIndex--
I probably just threw it in there to be adjusted later.  It could probably
be changed.  However, I don't think "Variable" is the best title either,
because authors may then think they can somehow "assign" values to these
markups, or create their own.  Perhaps we're better off calling them
"page values" or something like that.