[pmwiki-users] Excel and CSV copy/paste into pmwiki?

Russ Fink russfink at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 24 13:41:19 CST 2005

>From: Neil Herber <nospam at mail.eton.ca>
>At 2005-02-24  10:20 AM -0800, David Wierbiki is rumored to have said:
>>Has anyone come up with a solution for allowing Excel or CSV worksheets to
>>be pasted into pmwiki?  I saw there was one for v1 in the v1 Cookbook, but
>>that involved more steps than my team can handle.  We really need to be
>>able to collaborate our project as we're spread out all over the US, and
>>pmwiki would be my first choice if the worksheet matter can be worked out.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any assistance/guidance anyone can offer.
>
>Dave
>
>I have a similar requirement where multiple authors are working on
>Word/Excel/Powerpoint/PDF documents. We use PmWiki as a repository for all
>of the documents, but we don't attempt to have the documents in readable
>form directly on a PmWIki page.

I can see the need to support this, because you might want a "read-only-ish"
display of the spreadsheet data rather than a full-blown spreadsheet upload.
  That said, I think you're asking the wrong application to do the work.
Presenting a raw CSV to a PHP script begs too many assumptions: does it
assume the first line is row headings or data?  What do we do with empty
entries, impute "0" or leave blank?  How should we align the entries?  How
do we express coloration?

Might be better to work the other way and have a ssheet plugin that exports
to PmWiki table format.  Or better, something that translates a HTML table
into PmWiki format.