[pmwiki-users] need help making big uploads work

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Wed Feb 23 09:14:18 CST 2005

On one of my PmWIki installations I have enabled large uploads. The site is
password protected and all of the authorized users are trusted so there is
no concern about hackers or malware uploads.

It took me a fair bit of time to find all of the bottlenecks that prevent
large uploads:
1) The $UploadExtSize limit in PmWiki
2) The  upload_max_filesize, post_max_size, and  memory_limit in php.ini
3) The LimitRequestBody in the Apache conf file

But I have those all set appropriately large, and uploads work just fine
from the LAN, but not from the WAN.
The problem is a PHP timeout that generates this error:

         PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded

I presume that this is a php.ini setting that I could bump up if I chose
to, but:

1) What is the downside of raising the time limit?
2) Is there a more robust method I can use for uploading large files?

Any and all advice or suggestions welcome.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668