[pmwiki-users] Table of content generation

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Feb 17 16:08:46 CST 2005

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 10:44:00AM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> The toc directive generates a toc using headings that fall /after/ the
> directive. It currently runs >nl0 to handle cases where the (:toc:) is
> in a GroupHeader and (ignoring toc qualifiers) matches on
>       '/\\(:toc:\\)(.*)$/se'
> Also, at that point it inserts anchors into the headings of any entries
> that don't have them.
>
> It looks as if I could change >nl0 to <split.

I'd suggest either "<nl0", ">nl1", or "<split".  All of these are
guaranteed to occur after (:include:) and (:groupheader:) processing.

> >This would scan the HTML output for any instances of '(:toc:)' and
> >replace them with $TableContents.
>
> That's very interesting!! I'll have to remember it.

As an alternative to "posteval" I've been thinking about adding a
"join" level into the markup sequence as the point where the processed
output is joined back together, and then post-processing could be processed
by expressions that are ">join".  But I haven't convinced myself that's
a good thing yet.  It would be nicer in some respects (more consistent)
than the "posteval" mechanism I currently have for cleanups.