[pmwiki-users] Local windows files and unix

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Feb 10 11:58:03 CST 2005

> > So far it only works with "bare" \\server\file links -- i.e., it
> > doesn't understand [[\\server\file | link text]] (let me know if you
> > need this -- I'm sure it'll somehow be even more bizarre :-).
>
> Actually, now that you mention it, that would be nice too. :)
> I couldn't figure it out myself.  Would it make sense to somehow
> make link formats easily custmoizable in config.php also?

I think there comes a point at which some things are no longer
"easy", no matter how much we might like to make them so.  Link
formats *are* customizable in config.php, but I don't think I can
make them "easily" customizable because there is so much interaction
with other markups and items in the system.  (I think this is
inherently true for any markup system, not just PmWiki.)

> May I as why the 3 slashes after file?
>
> file:///server/file
>
> instead of simply
>
> file://server/file
>
> which seems to work for me?

Depends on the browser being used.  I couldn't get the two slash form
to work on FireFox.

And note that the URLs that are produced aren't   file:///server/file,
they're file:///\\server\file.  This probably indirectly answers you're
question -- to the browser, it's not accessing files on another server
(as would be the case with file://server/file ), it's accessing
files through the local filesystem, thus file:///... .