[pmwiki-users] Directive to extract bullet list (was: Including itself)

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Tue Feb 8 13:02:40 CST 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 chr at home.se wrote:

> I'm organizing a wiki where I've got a page called 'GroupList' that
> lists all groups. This page is included in the sidebar as follows
>
> 	(:include Site.GroupList:)

I realized that there's something even more special I'd like to do here...

The purpose is to let me write and maintain a list of groups in two
ways at once, where the list is used as...
* .. a bullet list of links to the group home pages
* .. a list describing what each group contains

Ideally I'd like to be able to write something like this in Site.GroupList

	* [[Main -> Main/HomePage]] - A group with miscellanous pages
	* LyX/LyX - A group about LyX
	* FAQ/FAQ - A group with frequently asked questions

so that user's can browse Site.GroupList and get a brief description of
each group. However, if I just include Site.GroupList as above the sidebar
will look bad. So instead, I'd like a directive that can be used to
extract a bullet list from a page without the extra text. This would let
me use the following markup in my sidebar

	(:extract-list Site.GroupList:)

and it should result in taking only the items of the page in question as
well as removing any extra text in each item. The result of the line above
should therefore in this case be the same as:

	* [[Main -> Main/HomePage]]
	* LyX/LyX
	* FAQ/FAQ

Hope I'm making sense here... I have a feeling this approach could be used
for lots of useful things.

/Christian