[pmwiki-users] Re: draft/Subpageish stuff (was: Re: Question about HTML output for link targets)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Feb 7 12:20:19 CST 2005

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 04:39:25PM +0100, pyg_listes wrote:

> >I think that items such as revision levels or status should be treated
> >as page attributes. Currently, the only attributes used for pages are
> >passwords. But it makes perfect sense to me that a page attribute
> >(revision level) could be "just started", "draft", "under revision",
> >or "complete".

Actually, this is another one of those cases where I think a directive
in the page text markup may be more appropriate than an attribute on the
page:

   (:page-status draft:)
   (:page-status under-revision:)
   (:page-status final-review:)
   (:page-status complete:)

This way the status is stored in the page's history (attributes aren't
held in the history).

Indeed, I can even imagine that one might want to assign a different
status to different sections of a page, with the overall page's status
being the "least complete" of any of its sections.

It also wouldn't be too difficult to get the (:page-status:) markup to
generate a form which would allow authors to quickly change the status
of the page (e.g., similar to what is done by
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Voting).

Another, somewhat more straightforward solution is to just use categories,
and markup each page with [[!draft]], [[!complete]] [[!under-revision]],
etc.  It then becomes a fairly simple process to find all of the pages
that are in a given category or state.