[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Dare I edit the page? (Was: suggestion for continuously improving...

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Fri Feb 4 03:51:15 CST 2005

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> Yes, if we're just setting $EditMessageFmt directly.  But a sophisticated
> enough local configuration or cookbook script would be sufficient to
> manipulate $EditMessageFmt based on author settings.  The problem with
> "author-based" manipulation is that it becomes tedious to set the message
> on every page (i.e., there needs to be a way to do it for a set of pages).

I agree. If there was a custom text, you definitely wouldn't want to
repeat that for each page. But it seems we're getting in to implementation
details here... As I see there are some possible places where this kind of
"editorial instructions" could be put:

* Next to the edit link on each page, it'd have to be short texts though
  such as "please edit", or "only editors may edit". Maybe it'd be an idea
  to have the text of the edit link be different?

* As something resembling a group header/footer (or perhaps just using
  those)

* Put the editorial instructions just above the actual edit form...

As I see it, one problem is to make the users dare to even click the edit
link, so just putting the editoral instructions on the edit form doesn't
help. But perhaps a combination would be good? Something short on the
actual page that encourages/discourages people to edit it, with more
extended instructions next to the edit form?

/Christian