[pmwiki-users] Re: Question about HTML output for link targets

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Feb 2 17:05:28 CST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 11:56:04AM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> >And even though hyphens are allowed in page names, I still haven't
> >excluded just using plain hyphen ('-') here, as in "-Comments" and
> >"-Draft".  Using hyphen wouldn't mean excluding it from other page
> >names; it's just that page names ending in '-Comments', '-Draft', etc.
> >would be "special" (without having to introduce a full
> >"subpage"
> >capability).
>
> Hmmm. Introducing language-specific special cases sounds like it may
> have some undesirable side-effects.

Well, these values weren't going to be hardcoded in-- they were just
going to be "suffixes" that were recognizable by the appropriate
module(s).  But the caution is well-taken.

> One could make the subpage suffix require a -[[:upper:]] but that
> is open to misinterpretation. It doesn't seem right that sometimes
> a hyphen is just a hyphen and sometimes it denotes a subpage.

Agreed, thus we either need a character that always denotes "subpage"
or else we should detect these alternate views by complete suffix
strings and not patterns.

> Here's a provocative suggestion:
>
> What if one used the '/' character??? Is that allowed?
> ie Group.Page/Subpage

Looks too much like a hierarchical group to me (and people are going
to certainly try to make it work that way).

> Is a ; (semi-colon) allowed?
> ie Group.Page;Subpage

Semi-colon is indeed a possibility.