[pmwiki-users] Re: Question about HTML output for link targets

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed Feb 2 16:02:42 CST 2005

On Thursday, 3 February 2005 10:42 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

>I've been looking at a similar idea for a comments extension; but I'm
>also starting to think that this ultimately becomes a form of subpages
>(both in the UseMod sense of subpages, and in the MediaWiki
>sense).
>
>However, subpages would also be a way for us to support page drafts;
>i.e., to have _Draft pages.
>
>> Alternatively, if colons (:) were allowed in page names, you could have
>> "Talk:PageName," which is much more MediaWiki-esque.
>
>Yes, unfortunately I think that colons confuse things too much with
>InterMap links.  (Perhaps I'm wrong about this?)  I was thinking of
>using the tilde character (~) for this, as in
>PmWiki.DocumentationIndex~Comments, PmWiki.DocumentationIndex~Draft,
>etc.
>
>But I'm still working on it.
>
>Pm

I agree about adopting a subpages approach.

You might look at the Cookbook.SubpageMarkup recipe. Also, I suggest:

- *not* _ because it would be prudent to reserve this for sites that
  prefer to use _ instead of spaces in page names

- *not* ~ because [[~xyz]] means [[Profiles.xyz]]

- I ended up with [[*Subpage]] markup to mean [[{$Group}.{$PageName}*Subpage]]

- following UseMod's convention that a reference to [[*somepage]] on
  a child page means [[ParentPage*somepage]]

Just my 5¢.
--
JR