[pmwiki-users] how does one encode "file:" link in a wiki page?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Feb 1 10:46:35 CST 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:19:10AM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> At 2005-02-01  10:51 AM -0500, Gautam H. Thaker is rumored to have said:
> >Typing either file:/path or file:///path in the mozilla "destination
> >field" works and these files get loaded. However, if I have the following
> >entries in a .html file which the browswer is viewing *NONE* of the
> >entries can be used to follow to the file.
>
> This is some kind of weird browser behavior. I tried the following in
> Firefox on WinXPpro:
> [...]
> The rule seems to be:
>         if I am on a web page, do not open local files
>         elseif I have opened a local file, do open other local files
> linked from it

Aha!  This is apparently a Firefox security setting.

In Firefox, enter "about:config" in the address bar, then scroll down
to the setting for "security.checkloaduri", and change it to false by
double-clicking on it.  After making this change, file:///C:/...
works even when it's coming from an external web page.

I don't know what (if any) other implications there may be for
changing this setting.

I'm sure there's some sort of similar setting that has to be
made to enable such links in IE, but I don't understand IE's
(in)security model anyway so YMMV...