[pmwiki-users] Re: Root README.txt With a docs/ Directory

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Thu Dec 29 22:07:42 CST 2005

H. Fox wrote:
> On 12/29/05, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
> <christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com> wrote:

>>Going off on a tangent here.... shouldn't we emphasize that there several
>>ways to structure directories, e.g. for farm installations?
>

> The idea is to keep it simple for first-time installers.  Less is more.
I'll weigh in as a relative newcommer. It is *very* helpful to have a
basic install.txt file -- even now after a few upgrades I have to do a
quick think before I move forward. Upgrading/installing is a simple
process, so keep the install.txt simple as well.

>>>docs/INSTALL.txt should be a general enough so it doesn't need frequent
>>>updating.  At the simplest level it could just refer to a page or two on
>>>pmwiki.org.
>>
>>Do we even need it? Surely the most inept administrator should be able to
>>follow something like the following from README:
>>
>>        For installation instructions, see
>>                http://pmwiki.org/wiki/InstallationInstructions
>

> You mean  http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Installation ?
>
> I think it's helpful to have self-contained instructions, even if
> they're only minimal.
I agree. A link for further reference may not hurt, but that tends to
prompt the reader to thinking there's more info they are missing out on :)

> INSTALL.txt, like README.txt, should be short and to the point, maybe
> with references to in-depth explanations (e.g. security implications)
> and/or out-of-the ordinary subject matter (e.g. WikiFarms).
>
> For example, the PmWiki.Installation page has a WikiFarms link at the
> top, which I believe was put there by me when I refactored the page
> prior to the release of PmWiki 2.0.    The docs can lead you to
> information without flooding you with extraneous material.
Farms install's I'd either put in a separate TXT or provide a link to
the info on-line.

  ~ ~ Dave