[pmwiki-users] Root README.txt With a docs/ Directory

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Dec 29 16:22:33 CST 2005

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 03:06:18PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
>     This is the README.txt file for PmWiki, a wiki-based system for
>     collaborative creation and maintenance of websites.  PmWiki is
>     distributed with the following directories:
>
>       docs/           Documentation and sample configuration files
>       local/          Local configuration scripts
>       cookbook/       Recipes (add-ons) obtained from the Cookbook
>       pub/            Publicly accessible files
>       pub/css/          CSS stylesheet files
>       pub/skins/        Layout templates (skins)
>       scripts/        Some scripts that are part of PmWiki
>       wikilib.d/      Some default wiki pages

I think I would add the following:

      In addition, once PmWiki is running the following directories
      may also exist:

        wiki.d/         Files containing local wiki pages
        uploads/        Directory for attachments

Also, do we need to mention pub/guiedit/, since it's part of the
distribution?

>     For installation advice, see  docs/INSTALL.txt or visit
>     http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Installation

I'm wonder if docs/INSTALL.txt will get to be out of date/sync
with the wiki page version. (OTOH, the installation instructions
haven't changed much over PmWiki's history, so perhaps this isn't
an issue.)

> * The docs/ directory would have files like
>
>     docs/
>       .htaccess
>       COPYING.txt
>       INSTALL.txt
>       cms-config.php
>       sample-config.php
>       secure-config.php
>       [...]

Since I don't have a cms-config.php or an INSTALL.txt, and I think
(from previous discussions) that secure-config.php will properly
belong as scripts/secure.php, I think we end up with:

    docs/
      .htaccess
      COPYING.txt
      sample-config.php

I'm not sure that these 2 (3 if we create an INSTALL.txt) files
deserve their own directory.  Perhaps there are a number of other
things that will go in the docs/ directory, but following
PmWikiPhilosophy #3, until we do have them I think it's better
to stick with what we have now.

However, I entirely agree that if we identify any more text-ish
files that are to be part of the distribution, then we'll create the
separate docs/ directory and structure it as proposed above.