[pmwiki-users] 2.1.beta15 released (with major changes)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Dec 28 20:14:36 CST 2005

I've just released pmwiki-2.1.beta15, which is now available
from:

    http://www.pmwiki.org/pub/pmwiki/pmwiki-2.1.beta15.tgz
    http://www.pmwiki.org/pub/pmwiki/pmwiki-2.1.beta15.zip
    svn://pmwiki.org/pmwiki/tags/latest

This release incorporates major internal changes from the
previous beta release, so site admins should take some caution
when upgrading.  I'm eager for many people to try out this
new version and report on problems and successes, but I wouldn't
consider beta15 to be completely "stable".  (It has been running
for a couple of days on pmwiki.org, however.)

The biggest changes have to do with the (:pagelist:) directive
and the processing of variables in page markup.  What used to
be called "markup variables" are now "page variables", and they
can be used in page markup, skin templates, and $...Fmt variables.
Page variables always have the form "{$varname}", and correspond
to things like {$Name}, {$Group}, {$Title}, etc.  In addition,
one can get the value for another page by placing the pagename
in front of the variable, as in "{PageName$Title}".

For recipe authors, this change implies a fairly substantial
change to the $FmtP array (used by FmtPageName).  Contact the
list if there are any specific questions about the changes.

The (:pagelist:) directive has been redesigned, so that most
formatted output now makes use of templates written in wiki pages.
The distribution now comes with a Site.PageListTemplates page that
has built-in templates for "fmt=simple", "fmt=bygroup", "fmt=group",
and adds "fmt=title".  The "fmt=" parameter to (:pagelist:) can
specify any of:
  * an administrator-defined function or format (e.g., "fmt=special")
  * the name of a page to be used as a template for formatting the list
    ("fmt=SomePage")
  * a section within another page to be used as a template
    ("fmt=SomePage#section")
  * a section within Site.PageListTemplates ("fmt=#section")

The FPLByGroup, FPLSimple, and FPLGroup functions (and their
corresponding variables) have been removed from the distribution
in favor of using the templates above.  If anyone needs these
functions to be available, let me know and I'll make a cookbook
recipe for them or place them in the transition.php script.

$EnablePageListProtect now defaults to 1, this means that read-only
pages won't show up in pagelists unless the visitor has read authorization
to the page.

There is now an (:if equal x1 x2:) markup available that tests for
(string) equality of two values.

There have been other miscellaneous optimizations and internal improvements.

Comments, suggestions, and especially bug reports/problems are
greatly appreciated.