[pmwiki-users] XMLRPC and UTF-8

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Dec 28 09:02:38 CST 2005

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 03:30:23PM +0100, Tomas Pihl wrote:
> Installed XMLRPC from Cookbook and tried using ecto (Mac OS X). It
> successfully pull all pages and I'm also able to post new pages.
> However, it seems using my native characters (swedish) such as å, ä
> and ö fails. My site is UTF-8 and posting and reading works fine
> using a browser, but ecto fails both reading and posting the UTF-8
> characters. Is the cookbook XMLRPC UTF-8 compliant?

Apparently the xmlrpc.inc script sets ISO-8859-1.
See lines 140-144 of cookbook/xmlrpc/xmlrpc.inc, which say:

        // The charset encoding used in sent messages and expected for received responses
        $xmlrpc_defencoding='UTF-8';
        // The encoding used by PHP.
        // String values received will be converted to this.
        $xmlrpc_internalencoding='ISO-8859-1';

You might try changing that last variable to 'UTF-8' and see if
that solves things.