[pmwiki-users] Request for changing the default upload policy

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Dec 21 12:08:17 CST 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 05:39:40PM +0100, Mikael Nilsson wrote:
> After having gone through the process of trying to secure my wiki, or at
> least parts of it, I'd like to request a change in default settings for
> uploads to be per-page, and not per-group.
> So the questions are:
> 1. Is the performance issue real/common?
> 2. is it very common to use attachments on more than one page?

1. It's not at all an issue of performance -- the way in which the
attachments are organized shouldn't affect performance.

2. For most of the places where I've used PmWiki, it has been quite
common to share attachments among multiple places in a group, as
well as wanting to be able to quickly list all of the attachments
used by a group (as opposed to having to go through each page to
see them).  Using per-page attachments in these instances would've
been a big pain.

Your points about the security implications of read-protected pages
and attachments are quite valid, but I'm not sure that it's enough
to warrant changing the default setting.  In my experience most
places that have read-protection do so on entire groups or the entire
site and not individual pages (but I could be wrong about this also).