[pmwiki-users] Re: random musings

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Sat Dec 17 16:33:07 CST 2005

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> Some random musings and questions to see if anyone has comments,
> ideas, or suggestions...
>

> 1. Page variables
> The new {$...} and {pagename$...} syntax works great, and I think
> it even makes the code more efficient.  It's likely a keeper.

Definitely.

> 2. Wildcards
> Conditional markup needs a bit of work.  I'd like to work wildcards
> ('*' and '?') into conditionals and pagelists somehow, but I can't
> seem to come up with the proper names for the options.  Currently
> we have available
>
>     (:if group Profiles:)        # page is in Profiles group
>     (:if name HomePage:)         # page is named "HomePage" (in any group)
>     (:if match <pattern>:)       # page's name matches pattern (a regexp)
>     (:pagelist group=Profiles:)  # pages in Profiles group
>     (:pagelist list=normal:)     # pages matching "normal" selection

Looking at the

> One option is to just allow wildcards directly on "group" and "name"
> values in conditionals, so that

Not sure it matters, but as the wildcards are used below, maybe the word
"glob pattern" is useful for the syntax?

As for the the (:if match <pattern>:), something I always find annoying
with regular expressions is that I don't know which blody variant that's
being used... Of course, if we just specify/document that I'm happy...

/C