[pmwiki-users] Re: new code on pmwiki.org

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Dec 16 11:57:10 CST 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 05:45:32PM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> > Just an FYI --
> >
> > I have some of the new page variables code running on pmwiki.org now.
> > Since it's a fairly substantial change to some of PmWiki's internals,
> > there's a possibility that things won't work quite right.  If anyone
> > notices anything odd on pmwiki.org (i.e., things don't work as they used
> > to or should), just send a message to me or the list and I'll look into
> > it.
>
> Um... have you considered using a separate test installation for working?
> E.g. http://pmwiki.org/test/pmwiki.php, which of course could be using the
> same wiki.d/ as the regular wiki?

Sure, I do this all the time -- see http://www.pmwiki.org/sandbox
at any point in time and you'll see a quite a few test/development
installations.  :-)

However, sometimes I need to do things where I already have lots of
data (without copying the whole set of pages across), and bugs get
found and reported a lot more quickly when they're on the live system
than on a development one.  Yes, I could get around it.  I find it's
just easier to work live -- if things get too out of hand I can always
revert to an earlier version.