[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Backups

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 15 18:40:04 CST 2005

On 12/13/05, chr at home.se <chr at home.se> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 06:50:42PM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:
> > > Please have a look:
> > >
> > >     http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Backup
> > >
> > > It's linked from both DocumentationIndex and Upgrades now.
> > >
> > > Backup is a rather important piece of functionality...
> >
> > ...as is restore.  I think the Backup page might also need some notes
> > about how to restore a site from the backup if/when the need arises.
>
> Oh, I agree... just thought the backup procedure should stabilize some
> before I brought that up :-)

I started to edit the PmWiki.Backup page and decided to go in a
slightly different direction.

Since the distribution archive is only about 1/4 megabyte, why not
just archive everything and keep it (much more) simple?

You can make a backup archive with

    tar -zcvf ~/wiki-backup.tar.gz wiki/

You can restore it in under 30 seconds with

    tar -zxvf ~/wiki-backup.tar.gz
    find wiki/uploads/ -type d |xargs chmod 777
    find wiki/wiki.d/ -type d |xargs chmod 777

I think this is more in line with PmWiki Philosophy #5 (Be easy to
install, configure, and maintain).

I created a PmWiki.BackupAndRestore page based on this simple
approach.  There's another, slightly more complex example that deals
with avoiding world-writable permissions.  I spent an hour or so on
the page, including doing some test backups and restores.

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/BackupAndRestore

Hagan