[pmwiki-users] Blog proposal

Mikael Nilsson mini at nada.kth.se
Thu Dec 15 13:38:37 CST 2005

Overall a good proposal! I have a few comments below.

tor 2005-12-15 klockan 08:46 -0600 skrev Patrick R. Michaud:

> * Posting a blog entry is as simple as adding (:blog:) to the markup
>   of any page.  When a page containing (:blog:) is saved, that page
>   is automatically added to the blog trail page if it's not already
>   listed.  (The author must have write permissions to the blog trail
>   page.)

Well... do you really want that? I realize that you would like to know
it's a blog post, but should you not use properties for this?

(:property type=blog:)

You don't lose anything, and it generalizes nicely :-).

> * An author can use (:blog OtherBlogTrail:) to post the current page
>   to blog trails other than the default.

Post to several blogs, too? That would be cool! Especially if you have
group blogs, where some blog posts belong to several groups.

> * When displayed, a page containing a (:blog:) directive
>   automatically receives a blog header and footer, defined
>   either within the blog trail page or by Site.BlogTemplate.
>
> * A special-purpose (:bloglist:) directive can be used to display
>   blog entries in a variety of formats.  It's actually the same
>   as (:pagelist:) but has some default settings useful for blogs.
>
> * We may have a special ?action=newblog that can be used to
>   automatically drop an author into an editor with the pagename
>   constructed from the current date, a serial number, or a
>   combination of the two (configurable).

I think this is probably the most important part of it all...

What an newblog page needs:

* Automatic generation of page name, using the title as input as well. I
don't dates/serials #s are enough, especially since there is more
information available.
* Category support - the user should not need to set categories in the
markup IMHO.
* Checkboxes for which blogs to post to (optional).
* More??

I repeat - IMHO the newblog page needs to be idiot-proof (or nearly so),
and all important settings need to be accessible in the GUI.

/Mikael

--
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose