[pmwiki-users] Kind-of Blog, a blog for PmWiki

Ryan R. Varick rvarick at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 13:40:55 CST 2005

> (*) can the title of the post be the permalink?

This would be relatively* easy.

> (*) put the archive calendar on the digest/singlepost page - only
> current month (include?)

This is something I would like to think about.  I'm pretty sure you
could do it now by just including both (:blogarchive:) and
(:blogdigest:) and changing some variables in kob.php.  But the
problem is that it would limit you to *only* doing things that way.

What I need to do is work on (:blogarchive:) so it takes the arguments
that are set in kob.php, allowing flexiblilty.  Something like
(:blogarchive monthsback=1 monthsforward=1:) for a three month archive
(this month, one back, and one forward).

I'm a big fan of simplicity, so I don't want to get much more
complicated than that.  I think something like that would work fine
for what you're proposing, and I'll see about getting it written.

> (*) different css classes/div containers for day-month-year and
> hour-minute-timestamp

Again, relatively* easy.

* The thing with timestamps and the header as the permalink is that
just about everything depends on a strict blog entry format.  RSS, the
edit format you were talking about earlier, the digest -- they all
need entries to have the same format.

Changing the format is easy, the entries could be formatted however
you want, as long as they are all the same.  The hard thing is coming
up with a format that is useful for largest number of people.  Also,
as more people start to use KOB, it becomes harder to update the
format, because it would break everyone's blog.  They would have to
manually update their old posts, or I would have to provide a
conversion script, or write code to check for old entries.

Another approach would be to come up with a very basic file format
that stores individual pieces, and reformat those at a higher-level.
But I like knowing that PM has already done all the hard work of
handling input.

I'm definately thinking about what is the best way to format things:
should the header be a permalink?  Should the timestamp be a seperate
div from the permalink?  Should permalink come before timestamp?  Etc.

Even the date format is hard.  I like MM/DD/YYYY, but what about
YYYY/MM/DD, or MM/DD/YY?  Lots of questions, so I'll just evade for
now and say I'm thinking about it.  Any suggestions?

> (*) GUI edit buttons for the postings textarea (low priority:-)

Probably very easy.  I'll see about adding an option for this.

> the only support I can give is extensive testing, so just keep me
> uptodate with any changes on ur recipe and I will provide u with
> detailed feedback.

Great, much appreciated.  v1.0.3 is on there, it fixes some of the
things pointed out in the comments section.

> (BTW shouldnt we double post some of the Q:A on the pmwiki recipe page
> for people not on the mailing list?)

Yeah probably. ;-)