[pmwiki-users] Profiles.HomePage

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Dec 8 07:13:40 CST 2005

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 07:35:49AM -0500, Curtis, Clayton wrote:
>    I just installed "latest" PMWiki on a small Fedora server to experiment
>    with a vehicle for medical informatics community development. It's great!

Glad to hear it!

>    One (of probably many to come) question: In playing with Profiles on my
>    own system, I wondered about a page to list all profiles, but couldn't
>    find one. Then I encountered Profiles.HomePage on the pmwiki.org site.  I
>    just copied the code, and now have my own, but my question is, should that
>    have been part of the distribution?

It's tempting to want to include a lot of features in the default
distribution, however there are also a lot of people who don't
want to have to go through the entire distribution looking for things
to be disabled or removed that they don't want or need.  This probably
falls into one of those latter cases.

Beyond that, the distribution currently comes with pages only in the
Main, Site, and PmWiki groups, and I'm not sure we should extend it
to Profiles (and Categories).

However, your question does prompt another idea, which is that perhaps
we should create a cookbook recipe and/or zip file containing pages
like Profiles.HomePage, Category.Category, and Category.GroupFooter
that an admin could quickly download and install to quickly enable
some of these useful features.

>    Now I'm wondering what else I might
>    have missed or somehow lost.

Though the PmWiki core is small, its modular and extensible nature means
that the number of things it can do (and ways it can do it) is very large.
So, we're all bound to miss something.  :-)

>    [One tiny thing: While I understand why it
>    is happening, is there any way to exclude HomePage from the list of
>    profiles, since PageList naturally picks it up?]

Try adding the following to your local/config.php:

    $SearchPatterns['normal'][] = "!$pagename!";

This causes any page listing using "list=normal" to exclude
itself from the output.  (Somewhat described in Cookbook.SearchPatterns.)