[pmwiki-users] Re: Main.GroupAttributes and PmWiki.GroupAttributes

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Dec 6 21:15:32 CST 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 01:20:42AM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> > PmWiki.GroupAttributes from the distribution.  Any strong opinions
> > for or against?
>
> I think Main.GroupAttributes should go, but I don't know about
> PmWiki.GroupAttributes. It could be that it's unsafe to let anyone add to
> what appears as the "official", but locally installed, pmwiki
> documentation.

Actually, PmWiki.GroupAttributes isn't preventing people from modifying
the pages, it's only preventing passwords from being set/changed.

> Could you expand on the motivation for removing PmWiki.GroupAttributes?

I was actually looking at it from another perspective -- what's the
motivation for keeping it?  ;-)  But my principal reason for removing
it is that it eliminates another "exception" that has to be explained
or accounted for when administrators are dealing with passwords, and
there no longer seems to be any strong reason for this password
protection to exist by default.