[pmwiki-users] BasicEditing, TipsForEditing, TextFormattingRules revision

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Aug 26 13:35:11 CDT 2005

Currently we have three documentation pages that seem to describe
the basics of writing pages:  BasicEditing, TipsForEditing, and
TextFormattingRules.  To me these pages seem very duplicative in
intent, if not content, so I'm wondering if they're better consolidated,
and if so, how to do it.

In general I think the TipsForEditing page is largely superfluous --
it's not clear that it fits well into the overall documentation scheme.
I propose we eliminate it.

The BasicEditing (when it's finished) and TextFormattingRules
seem like they'll basically duplicate each other.  The layout of the
BasicEditing page is shamelessly borrowed from Wikipedia's
"How to edit pages" page.  Personally I find that format easier to
follow for this page because it's very clear to see what options
are available (in the left column) and how to do them (in the right
column).  But others have indicated they like the TextFormattingRules
version better.

Note that the suggested two-column format for BasicEditing
does *not* mean I think we should use this format on all of the
documentation pages.  It just seems to be an appropriate format
for helping new authors understand the available markups, rather
than having to read through a lot of prose.

If we fill out BasicEditing with the remainder of the markups, do we
still need TextFormattingRules?  If so, what's the distinguishing
characteristic between the two?