[pmwiki-users] Sidebar considerations and more

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Aug 25 11:16:22 CDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 06:03:56PM +0200, Dominique Faure wrote:
> * Most of the (Pm)wiki site are using a single sidebar which is rendered
> on the left or on the right side of pages thanks to the used skins. Trying
> to point out thing by their nature more than by the place they lay, I
> think we need a [@(:nosidebar:)@] directive redefined into every skin to
> [@(:noleft:)@] or [@(:noright:)@] behavior according to the provided
> layout.

Makes sense to me.

> The page "overloading" mecanism (IMHO, one of the best features of PmWiki)
> guarantees that predefined pages are kept buried under edited content, but
> is lacking (what I found) an important feature: The ablity to retrieve
> (include) page content precising the pagestore it comes from with a
> directive like:
> -->[@(:include [PageStoreName]Group.Name:)@]

I don't want to have to expose the PageStore mechanism to authors,
or worry about adding yet-another-namespace into PmWiki.  Somehow
I think there are probably better ways to handle this.

> ->Without this, I'm obliged to proceed to a page copy every time I upgrade
> the PmWiki core (BTW, having already predefined in the core the
> [[PmWiki.SideBar]] page with a [[Site.SideBar]] including it solely could
> be a more elegant solution).

Once we get it finished, the Site.SideBar page in the distribution is
unlikely to change much.  Indeed, I don't think it changed at all
in the PmWiki 0.6-1.0 sequence once it was established, and it has
changed very little in 2.0 development and beta sequences.  (Note
that the Site.SideBar that appears on pmwiki.org is not the same
as what goes in the distribution.)

Since Site.SideBar in the distribution changes so little, I think it's
easier to just have admins copy the page whenever it does change.