[pmwiki-users] transliteration -> unicode markup for Indian languages

Varadarajan Mani-A19487 maniv at motorola.com
Wed Aug 24 14:18:24 CDT 2005

Hello,

This is my first foray into writing something for PmWiki so I'd
like your advice as to whether I'm proceeding in the best way.
Indian languages are not typically written in a Roman script but
since the advent of the Internet a few standard transliteration
schemes have come about. I'm trying to add markup which takes
this transliteration scheme and converts into one of several
scripts, in this case, Tamil. What I've tried is the following:

Markup("{T=",'<split','/{T=(.*?)=T}/se', "Tamilize('$1')");

which converts anything in between {T= and =T} into the Unicode
characters for Tamil. For example:

{T= tivviya pirapan^tham =T}

would become

திவ்விய பிரபந்தம்

It seems to work for the most part, but I'm not sure whether "<split"
is correct for this type of markup, and whether the markup delimiters
are advisable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mani