[pmwiki-users] Re: what is the best way to clear out spammer droppings

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Thu Aug 11 14:24:14 CDT 2005

At 2005-08-11  02:12 PM -0500, Ben Wilson is rumored to have said:
> > Now that the blocklist is working again and our recent spammer has been
> > slowed down (stopped??), what is (are)  the best way(s) to remove their
> > droppings?
>
>I would think that a script that detects many added links that on a
>page that lack approval would be a sure fire way to detect.

That probably wouldn't work well in this case, because the spammer has put
only 3 links per page, but they put them on over 200 pages.

>The next step would be to remove the entry--not just restore from a
>previous version, but to eradicate the spam dropping from the page's
>history.

Removing entirely requires FTP access to the page -  not available to
mortals on pmwiki.org.

Nevertheless, how does one automate the removal if one has FTP access? And
what can be done on sites where you are limited to browser access? I am not
asking what to do, but how to do it efficiently.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668