[pmwiki-users] new default skin

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Aug 11 07:57:26 CDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 10:43:14PM -0400, Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:
> > Using the named sizes leaves the user's preferences intact as well;
> > the named sizes are relative to the user preference.
>
> Maybe, maybe not -- I bet it varies by browser.  I haven't tested, but
> I remembered having read stuff on this before, and dug these up.
>
> http://westciv.com/style_master/academy/css_tutorial/properties/text_style.html#font-size
> http://meyerweb.com/eric/articles/webrev/199908a.html
> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/sizematters/

It's possible you're correct in the main, but nearly every article
I've come across regarding problems with the named font sizes is
somewhat dated, and based on browsers such as Netscape 4 and IE 4/5.
In my experience the newer browsers are more consistent about this.

(I'm not saying we should ignore older browsers; I'm just saying
that the slight degradation due to outdated CSS is something
the people using those browsers are already having to deal with. :-)

At any rate, your points are well taken and I'll keep them in
mind.