[pmwiki-users] Locked SideBar in new installation

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Aug 10 14:04:21 CDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 02:29:44PM -0400, Neil Herber wrote:

> My only concern (and it is small) is having to explain the concept of
> "nopass" to a newbie admin if all they want to do is protect the sidebar.
> It is a bit convoluted.

I'm not sure we have to explain "nopass" to do this -- perhaps all we
have to do is say that the SideBar page is unlocked by default, and
the admin can set a password on it (just like any other password)
if they wish to lock it.  We don't have to tell them to use "clear".

> Perhaps there could be a bit of script magic in
> config.php like $EnableSidebarPassword = 1, such that with no config.php,
> the sidebar would not require a password.

I'm very against script/configuration magic of this sort.  There are
already enough factors involved in determining a page's protections
without introducing even more exceptions to have to worry about.  :-)