[pmwiki-users] more about metadata ...

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Tue Aug 9 10:31:47 CDT 2005

I was quite surprised this morning to find out that Adobe has developed an
Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP).

http://www.adobe.com/products/xmp/main.html

It even has hooks in it to some of the Dublin Core. This may be of use to
people with PmWiki installations that have large numbers of attached files,
be they images, PDFs, or what have you. According to the bit I read, search
engines can (do??) use the metadata for indexing.

All of the metadata is stored inside the file, which I think is the way
PmWIki should go if it starts storing metadata on pages.

If PmWiki knew the XMP rules presumably it could search images for keyword
matches. Just a thought for version 3.1. ;-)

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668