[pmwiki-users] Alternative to 'stealth' => 'read-only'

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 01:04:05 CDT 2005

On 8/8/05, Radu <radu at monicsoft.net> wrote:
> At 08:29 PM 8/8/2005, Neil Herber wrote:
> Best so far. 'Static' is too restrictive, 'read-only' is already a
> filesystem nightmare for wikis, 'stealth' is too spooky...

"Stealth" was a bit of a joke on my part.  My mental image was of a
wiki in disguise, able to go places and do things that no wiki would
normally be permitted to.  Or, as my gamer boyfriend might see it, the
stealthy ninja wiki creeps up upon and slays the foolish and
incompetent static html pages!

Display is a good term -- that view is for displaying existing content
to people who do not need to know what's under the hood, and wouldn't
have the edit password anyway.  E.g. a small business will not improve
its image by having wiki-related links all over its product pages,
especially when some user wanting to leave a product review clicks on
edit, and is asked for a password...

Bronwyn