[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supporting different modes in default pmwiki

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Sun Aug 7 15:17:43 CDT 2005

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Hans wrote:

> Sunday, August 7, 2005, 8:40:09 PM, chr wrote:
> > The mode variable could
> > simply be a string that may take on of the values "reader", "author"  or
> > "admin". It would then be up to the skin to recognize this variable and
> > optionally produce different sub-skins.
>
> Somewhere someone needs to make choices of what constitutes each kind
> of mode. Do you want to leave that to the skin author?

Only partially. The skin could for instance support the mode by using
slightly different colors for the different modes. If the available
actions are defined by the skin, then these choices would also come from
the skin. With action lists I assume those could easily be made mode
dependent?

Did you read what I just posted about that the author mode might benefit
from always showing an edit form of the current page at the bottom? This
might be something that could only be controlled by a skin.

Besides that, I expect conditional statements in the sidebar will be
important - and this is something I'd expect the admin to do. Although I
guess a skin could supply a sidebar for the admin to start from.

> I just try to get away from this and give the choice to the admin. I may
> just offer what I think may be some good configuration examples. And
> admins have very different views of what they need for a particular site
> for each user group. I don't see an easy way to set standards here.

As for standards, I hope it'd be enough to come up with a few mode names
that we can roughly agree on their general purpose. Some possible sets
are as follows:
* reader, author, admin
* standard, expert, admin

I'm mainly thinking that we could at least try to come up with some
standard mode names so that not every skin use a different one. That'd
make it annoying when you want to change skin... or supporting more than
one.

regards
/Christian