[pmwiki-users] Re: Undesired space combined with (:if ...:)

Hans design at flutesong.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Aug 7 03:18:26 CDT 2005

Sunday, August 7, 2005, 8:50:56 AM, chr wrote:
> Hans added this markup to the test page:

>         * Item A -
>         (:if true:)* Item B - true(:ifend:)
>         * Item C
>         (:if false:)* Item D - false (:ifend:)
>         * Item E

> that results in this output

>         * Item A -
>         * Item B - true
>         * Item C

>         * Item E

> and Hans thinks the blank line from the false statement is logical.  I
> disagree with this... to me the blank line looks totally wrong, but maybe
> I'm thinking to much in programming terms.

Well it could be argued that an untrue if condition shows no output.
As it stands on a line by itself the result is a line by itself with
nothing on it. That was the logic I perceived here.
But it could be equally argued that in such case an empty line should
not appear. And this will undoubtedly look a lot better. So if the
behaviour could be changed to suppress empty lines resulting from
untrue If conditions I am all for it.

Re: elseif
There is no elseif. Each section started by an (:if .. :) is ended by
the next (:if ...:), or by an (:endif:).
That's why these two are equivalent:
   (:if condition.... :) ......... (:if:)
   (:if condition.... :) ......... (:ifend:)

Re: spaces in front:
I guess Pm did not mean to indent the lines he did, I think they are
plain typos.

Best,
~Hans