[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Reader docs (Was: audiences revisited or revised ???)

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Sat Aug 6 16:52:37 CDT 2005

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Radu wrote:

> At 04:58 AM 8/6/2005, chr at home.se wrote:
> > > diff is already explained as page history ...as for action=source,
> > > action=attr and so on... Naw, I remember Pm said that the links which
> > > are not explicitly included in the interface should not be shown to
> > > casual readers.
> >
> >I wouldn't consider this material for a casual reader, but for advanced
> >readers.
>
> This is IMHO cutting it too fine. There's no such thing as an
> advanced reader. If someone is really interested in a wiki, they
> become Authors.

I definitely disagree. There is certainly such a thing as an advanced
reader who is not an author. Consider a "power surfer" who expertly uses
google to find information on the web - he's advanced but doesn't write
pages. Wiki pages are also web pages, and there are different techniques
for finding the informaion you are looking for in a wiki.  But if we don't
think about them or tell readers about them, how can they use them?

/Christian

PS. I'd say pmwiki righ now is a bit behind when it comes to finding
information... I have a tendency to just shove everything onto wiki pages,
but I'm starting to find it difficult to find it again...