[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: pmwiki-users Digest, Vol 2, Issue 41

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Sat Aug 6 04:26:25 CDT 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 08:33:27PM -0700, John W Morris wrote:
> >    Now that I've irritated the pmwiki world, I will again observe silence.
>
> FWIW, I don't think you've irritated the pmwiki world (certainly not
> mine) -- I think it's just the general phenomenon that people with
> different points of view are more likely to respond to a message
> than those who agree with it.
>
> At any rate, all of the messages are proving to be extremely helpful
> for me to formulate where I want things to head.
>
> On the question of linking to messages in the mailing list archives,

Um... I don't think that's what John was writing about. If I understood
him correctly, he'd like the posts on the mailing list to be HTML with
links in them (not quite sure about this though).

Anyway, in this thread I'll just assume the above and explain how I happen
to read my mail...  maybe it'll interest someone ;-)

I use 'pine' (an old *nix text-based mail/news reader) from a remote
workstation that's alwys up and running. The main advantage for me is that
since the interface is purely text based, it's not that painful to access
over modem (*shudder*). In addition, I only need SSH or PuTTY on a
computer anywhere on the world to access my mail in a secure fashion.

Another advantage is that with the workstation always running, I keep pine
running all the time as well. Pine actually runs in a session under a
program called 'screen', allowing me to use pine remotely from several
computers at once. For example, I can start writing a mail at work, stop
in the middle of a sentence, go home and finish the sentence.

(For those of you familiar with remote desktop or VNC, the equivalent
would be having the mail program running on a remote server that you can
log in to from several different computers. The drawback with this is of
course that it would be very painful over a modem...)

/Christian