[pmwiki-users] Re: yet another documentation suggestion ...

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed Aug 3 22:45:08 CDT 2005

On Thursday, 4 August 2005 3:16 PM, V.Krishn <mistyfire at autograf.pl> wrote:
>> As I understand it, Dublin Core defines /structure/ not content.
>> I think we could map (:keywords:) to dc:subject -- again pmwiki
>mmmm.... this would be not quite fair as the scope of these are
>different.

Yeah, !categories seem more appropriate to me for dc:subject

>I also see no harm in author making change to the meta content, remember its
>"wiki" and authors best know how to describe the page if he/she has full
>freedom to change content.

Except that pmwiki already looks after some dc elements, like the date
and the page's URI. I don't think we want writers to change these.
Those dc elements that pmwiki looks after, the author shouldn't be
able to change. Those that pmwiki doesn't look after, the author
as you say knows best. Basically, we have to consider each dc
element on its own merits and decide whether it's author managed or
pmwiki managed.

And the metadata don't need to be physically separate. Pmwiki
already holds various attributes as part of the page; the dc-mes
would just add to these and be generated as dc xml on demand, in the
same way that pmwiki generates html of the contents on demand.

>What would be status of these documents:
>http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-MCF-XML-970624/
>
>This does not define <link rel="meta" ...> ??
>http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/types.html#type-links

As I understand it, DC is a particular metadata model, whereas the
MCF is a /framework/ for implementing metadata models. But I am
rapidly getting out of my depth.

I'd turn the question on its head: why /would't/ we use DC as a
basis for wiki page metadata? I haven't been able to think of
a good reason. AFAIK, it's the most widely-used standard and
still leaves the door open for other metadata models to be used
if these are more appropriate in any given situation. Best of all,
there is great documentation about how to encode dc, so it makes
correct implementation very straightforward.

See http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmes-xml/

Linking to Dublin Core metadata in XML from HTML

Dublin Core encoded in the method described here can be referred to from an HTML document and associated with it by means of the HTML <link> element. The recommended relation type for this purpose is rel="meta", used like this:
<link rel="meta" href="mydoc.dcxml" />

where mydoc.dcxml is the URI of the XML document being refered to.

--
JR