[pmwiki-users] yet another documentation suggestion ...

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed Aug 3 18:34:56 CDT 2005

On Thursday, 4 August 2005 12:40 AM, Neil Herber <nospam at eton.ca> wrote:
>At 2005-08-02  10:33 PM -0700, H. Fox is rumored to have said:
>>On 03 Aug 2005 10:50:42 +1200, John Rankin <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz> wrote:
>> > FYI
>> >
>> > The Cookbook:PageTableOfContents is designed to pick up Q: markup
>> > and generate a list of links to all the questions. When questions are
>> > very long, you can insert Christian's invisible stop (`.) and the
>> > table of contents only shows the text up to the stop, followed by
>> > an ellipsis. In ordinary text, invisible stops are, well, invisible.
>> >
>> > If the page includes major headings to separate the Q: tags, these
>> > headings appear in the TOC.
>>
>>I was tempted to suggest something like that, but it seemed like a lot
>>to ask. :-)
>
>I really like this idea, but to make it work for a FAQ that was part of the
>distribution (as it is now), wouldn't the PageTableOfContents recipe need
>to be installed by default?

Yes, that's correct.

Patrick has been properly reluctant to take third party recipes into the
core in the past. Where he has adopted functionality, he has AFAIK
chosen to re-write the code.

Some comments on the PageTableOfContents code:

- 80% is fine and is consistent with the way pmwiki does things

- 20% is really nurky and needs to be re-written (new pmwiki
  features mean it can potentially be simplified)

- all the features are there for a good reason, even if I can't
  quite remember what the reasons are

- it has probably gone about as far as it can in its current form
  (the last thing to be added was to display a toc on PageA for
  the contents of PageZ)

The big thing I learnt was that authors expect to put any valid
wiki markup in a heading or Q: and have the toc 'just work'.

--
JR