[pmwiki-users] audiences revisited or revised ???

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Tue Aug 2 22:35:07 CDT 2005

I have been updating some of the docs and have had second thoughts about
how to refer to audiences in a consistent way that everybody agrees with.
Does the following make sense?

1) A generic term for anyone accessing the wiki is a "user".
2) Users may also be "authors", that is, individuals who add to or edit the
content of the wiki.
3) A generally limited number of users are "admins", individuals who can
control the operation of the wiki in various ways.

On the http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Audiences page, authors are
further divided into two groups: naive and experienced. There is some
cultural baggage that goes along with these names. They might be better
described as conservative (not willing to do much markup) and daring
(willing to use lots of markup) authors, but those terms are just as
loaded. The same sort of classification could apply to admins
(conservative/daring).

Rather than ascribing abilities to the users,  why not ascribe a level to
the material being documented? This is already done to some degree with
page names like Simple Tables and Advanced Tables.

The points being made on the Audiences page about "naive authors" are still
very valid. What I am suggesting is a retraction of my original proposal
for 4 audiences (2 author, 2 admin) and adoption (or retention!) of the
terms user, author and admin as category tags for the docs. Each topic in
the docs could (should?) indicate if it is a basic, intermediate or
advanced topic.

This is a slight modification of the system used by Pierre Rouzeau for the
French docs.

One question that occurs to me: Do we really need a "user" audience? And I
am sure that the answer is yes. Docs for users would include such topics as:
* what can PmWiki do?
* PmWiki philosophy
* WikiWikiWeb

Neil