[pmwiki-users] yet another documentation suggestion ...

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Tue Aug 2 16:07:50 CDT 2005

At 2005-08-02  03:49 PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 09:40:01PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> > Tuesday, August 2, 2005, 9:31:06 PM, Neil wrote:
> >
> > > The ordering and formatting could be better, but I trust the idea is
> clear.
> >
> > yes. And if you split this into 'audience' sections,
> > so the beginners stuff is on top,
> > or the more important stuff... for new users/admins
>
>Why then do we need the "All about Groups" page at all?  Couldn't
>the lists of additional topics simply be placed at the end
>of existing pages (e.g., "WikiGroups") which have already been
>somewhat segregated by audience?
>
>Pm

Good question! WikiGroups is referenced by DocumentationIndex, so a
dedicated seeker should be able to find it in a few clicks.

I am not sure how useful it is to segregate the topics by audience when the
number of topics is small. It might make more sense to use keywords or
icons to tag the entries, as has been suggested by several others.

So for example:
     AllGroupHeader  - create a page which contains styles and content for
all pages in all groups (Ad)
     GroupList   - add a list of wiki groups to a page (all)
     LimitWikiGroups   - prevent users from creating new WikiGroups (Ad)
     OneGroupForAll   - get rid of all groups and links except for "Main" (Ad)
     PerGroupSubDirectories   - get per-group subdirectories for pages (Ad)
     UploadGroups   - have uploads associated with individual pages or the
entire site (Ad)
     GroupHeaders   - common markup included at the beginning or end of
each page within a group (all)
     HierarchicalGroups   - PmWiki does not support hierarchical or nested
groups (all)

Or:
For all users:
     GroupList   - add a list of wiki groups to a page (all)
     GroupHeaders   - common markup included at the beginning or end of
each page within a group (all)
     HierarchicalGroups   - PmWiki does not support hierarchical or nested
groups (all)

For PmWiki admins:
     AllGroupHeader  - create a page which contains styles and content for
all pages in all groups (Ad)
     LimitWikiGroups   - prevent users from creating new WikiGroups (Ad)
     OneGroupForAll   - get rid of all groups and links except for "Main" (Ad)
     PerGroupSubDirectories   - get per-group subdirectories for pages (Ad)
     UploadGroups   - have uploads associated with individual pages or the
entire site (Ad)

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/