[pmwiki-users] Trivial eProtect

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Apr 29 11:24:41 CDT 2005

Radu wrote:
> Not only that, they also look for everything after mailto: protocol
> names in href attributes.

Well, yes, but what would they do with ahgoödfvy at aöepoihbae? If they
blindly send a mail to it, all they'll get is a "domain not found" error.

 > One thing they don't seem to do so far is
> parse js logic, which is what I use to hide most addresses - when I
> really care. Most of the time, I treat it as one of those battles that
> only wind up wasting time and other resources, and ignore it :)
>
> No matter how much you try protecting an email address, someone will
> wind up placing it in a public place unencoded, and there you have it.
> When spam gets too much to bear I play with the email forward and let my
> contacts know the new alias.

Some people use different mail addresses on each occasion. For these, it
does make a difference.

But I agree that mail filtering is a more efficient technique. It's just
that I promised to somebody :-)
(besides, it's an interesting experiment)

Regards,
Jo