[pmwiki-users] Word wrap problem

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Apr 21 00:33:56 CDT 2005

(grin) which brings us full circle to PM's original solution:

option in local/config.php for admin to turn on wrapping for some char
width
(one assumes it will break on word space)

And leave it at that...

Affirmed: should the author want to do more, then he's going to be
styling the text anyway and, as has been said, removal of white space
in front will just be a natural part of manual editing...the wiki tools
for this are already there... and more bells and whistles may not be
much of a priority. and all the rest of the discussion, while
interesting, is ancillary to the back immediate goal

user wants to paste in an email and read it without doing any editing
and move on... whether the original indentation post-reply indentation
is lost or needs to be resuscitated, whether it is color or not or what
ever is tangential in the moment.

Some of us live in a world where spending time styling text in a wiki
is not an option, if you have 100 decisions to make in a day and
putting info on a wiki page is only one of them, you can't spend ten
minutes making it nice... you want it "just to work..." and no wrap
means "Oh no!"  Typically one is pasting in emails simply to get the
discourse on a project all moving in one direction: to the wiki-- but
at that moment you are doing other things...

Later when you focus on the project or issue, you may sit back and
start style blocks and replies as needed. At that time, we have all the
tools now.

So, PM's original response-solution is the "simply brilliant" answer,
brilliant may be an exaggeration, but  well... I just have this
aversion for IT string hoppers (Tamil rice flour spaghetti) and it's so
easy to go there if you aren't careful, and

<pre> ="just wrap at 40" is so very sweet

Sivakatirswami